What is a domain?
A domain name is a combination of different Latin characters that usually represent the content of your site and lead to it. The name you will choose is your corporate identity in the online space. That's why it's a good idea to take enough time before making your choice so that you don't have to change your domain name and lose customers later.
When you create a store in CloudCart, you get a free domain that accepts the name of CloudCart and looks like this: yourdomainname.cloudcart.net. To build the identity of your business, we recommend that you buy your own domain.
How to choose a suitable name?
Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a domain name for your CloudCart store.
- Choose a short and easy to write and find name - but be careful, as some short and meaningless letter combinations will not positively affect the popularity of your store. It is important that the letters in the name match visually.
- Choose a name for your domain that matches your site - although it may seem logical at first glance, not every site has the same name as the domain. It is advisable to name the site after your domain name because when people think of your site, they will remember it by name. And if your name is the same as the URL, they'll automatically know where to go. The name is a URL, so they know what to type in the browser.
- Use keywords - Try using keywords to describe the products or services you offer. The ones that customers write when searching for products or services like yours.
- Avoid numbers and dashes in the name - this often leads to confusion on the part of the customer and difficulties in finding and reaching your site. Although, if you still need and want numbers and dashes in your domain name, we recommend that you register different variations, just in case, so that even if the customer miswrites the name, he will still be able to reach your site.
- Use an appropriate extension for your domain - extensions are suffixes, such as .com or .net, at the end of the web address. The most common is undoubtedly .com, but often names with this extension are taken. If you still manage to register yours, it's a good idea to take your domain name with more than one extension. Choose the more popular ones such as .net, .info, .eu, .bg, etc., so that regardless of the extension with which customers write the address, they will still be able to open your site.
- Don't delay - the sooner, the better! As soon as you choose the name for your domain, register it because the best ones sell quickly. If you're having trouble figuring out a suitable name, some sites offer you a similar name to the one you're looking for. When you buy a domain from CloudCart, our system also shows you different options if what you are looking for is not free.
If you already have a domain that you want to redirect to your new CloudCart online store, see this article. And why it's important to have an SSL certificate for your domain, see here.