In this section:
- Adding an existing domain
- Activating domains
- Managing domains
In this article, you will find out how to use your own domain and add it to your CloudCart store. We will look at two cases: the first one is how to add a primary domain by changing name servers (DNS), and the second one - how to point a domain or subdomain as a CNAME record without using the CloudCart infrastructure but by pointing the domain or subdomain to the store.
Adding an existing domain
1. To add a domain, log into your store admin panel, in the Settings > Domains section, in the upper right corner of the screen click on the Add existing button.
2. In the window that opens, enter the name of the domain you want to add and press the Submit button.
3. Once you save the domain you will have to select one of the following two options:
Adding a domain by changing name servers
The "Complete domain management and DDoS protection" option is free and recommended. To enable it, you need to change the name servers of your domain.
1. In the first scenario - "Complete domain management and DDoS protection" - you have full DDoS protection and complete DNS management from the admin panel. Click the Enable DNS record management button.
2. Then, the system will ask you to change the name servers with the ones shown below:
For this purpose, go to your domain registry (e.g. name.com), enter the domain management console and change the name servers (example picture):
It may take up to 48 hours to validate the name server change. When the change is successfully validated you will be able to add the domain.
3. You can test again from the Manage DNS Records button, and if the name servers are the same, all your records will be scanned.
Make sure that all your records are transferred. If any of them are missing, you must recreate the respective records from the Create DNS record button.
4. Then enable the domain from the ON/OFF button and make it primary by pressing the Set as primary button.
5. Click on Manage SSL, install the certificate automatically from the respective button and wait a few minutes for it to load on all servers.
Adding a domain via a CNAME record
The Domain management via CNAME option is paid because we must provide you with a secure, static IP address (which requires payment).
In the second scenario, the domain name and name servers are managed not by CloudCart but by another service, such as the domain name registration service, and you do not want to change them.
1. Press the Manage with CNAME button.
2. Go to your domain registry (e.g. name.com), enter the domain management console and before adding a domain to your store, create a CNAME record pointing at your official CloudCart domain, for example - [storename].cloudcart.net.
A CNAME record is short for "Canonical Name" and is used when you must point a subdomain to another domain or subdomain. The address to which the redirect is done is also called a canonical or real address. In addition to [storename].cloudcart.net you can create a CNAME record pointing to www. This way, no matter how the user types your domain in the browser, with or without www, the page will open.
Below, the creation of a CNAME record is shown with the whole address of the domain pointing to [storename].cloudcart.net.
Adding a subdomain via a CNAME record
In the third scenario, you have a subdomain; the primary domain points to a service completely different from CloudCart and this service must add its domain to your store.
1. Press the Manage with CNAME button.
2. Go to your domain registry (e.g. name.com), enter the domain management console and before adding the subdomain to your store, create a CNAME record pointing at your official CloudCart domain, for example - [storename].cloudcart.net.
Your domains and subdomains are ready to be activated if, upon clicking on the "ON/OFF" and "Set as primary" buttons, the following window does not appear:
You can manage all domains and subdomains from the Settings > Domains menu. In this section, you can:
- Set a specific domain as primary using the Set as primary button.
- Manage the SSL certificate of the domain.
- View the date the domain was created.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have difficulty adding your domain.