If you have an online store that offers food products, or other goods that can not be sold individually (per piece), but need different units of measurement, the application "Units" is suitable for your site. If people rely on you to always have everything you need for the household, when shopping on site at a local store is not an option, then your store needs units of measure to add to your products. Thus, customers will be able to choose the desired quantity and cuts, and the system will make the appropriate calculations according to the ordered quantity.
In this section:
- Add a unit of measure to a product
- XML Import - products with units of measure
- Sync via API
- Edit product quantity in order
1. To set up and activate the application, you must first install it by logging in to the admin panel of your store, choose Apps > All Apps, and select the Units app. Click the Install button.
2. Select from the ON / OFF button whether the unit of measurement to be displayed in the quantity selection field, together with its symbols after the decimal point, when the customer orders the given product.
If this option is off, only an integer will be visible without the unit name (kg, g, l, etc.).
3. After installing the application, go to the Products section > Product Units and click the Create New Unit button located at the top right of your screen.
4. In the window that opens, fill in the Title and Short Title of the unit of measure you are creating. In the Decimal point field, enter the number of characters to display after the decimal point. Fill in the Primary unit of measure field after creating all units of measure.
5. Enter all the units of measure you need depending on the type of products in your store. After doing so, return to the created units of measure and select the primary unit of measure from the drop-down menu in the Primary unit of measure field, ie if you create a gram, the base unit is a kilogram, if you create a milliliter, the base unit is a liter and so on
6. In the next field Quantity in the basic unit of measure, write how many times the unit of measurement you create is contained in the basic unit of measurement, example: if you create a gram, the basic unit is a kilogram, and the quantity you need to enter is 1000, in 1 kg there is 1000 g, etc.
7. You can see all the units you have created in the Products > Product Units. If you want to delete a unit of measure, tick it and select Delete from Tools.
Add a unit of measure to a product
1. To set a specific unit of measure for a product that cannot be sold per piece, from the main menu in your admin panel, select Products and select the desired product. In the Product Configuration section, you have to enter the minimum quantity and unit of measure of the product.
Minimum quantity is functionality that allows you to set certain restrictions and rules when buying products. If you sell bulk goods (watermelons, pumpkins, etc.) you can set a minimum quantity that can be purchased. Also, this option is useful when you do not want and do not think it will be profitable to sell less than a certain amount of certain products. In the example, the product we used is potatoes and we want to set the settings so that the minimum quantity that a customer can order is 1 kg, so in the field, we fill in "1" and from the drop-down menu select the unit of measurement kg.
2. In the next field, enter the product price for the unit of measure you are using.
3. Step in - here you need to enter by how much the customer can increase/decrease the quantity of the product with each press of the +/- button. In our case, we have set 0.200 g. You can do so that the amount can be increased and decreased by half a kilogram (0.500 g). It all depends on the product you sell and your preferences.
4. Visualization - used to present/visualize the unit of measurement of the product in the form of a tag. In addition to referring to the unit in which the product is sold, you can also use this field to enter any text if you choose. If you leave it blank, the minimum amount of product you have entered in the corresponding field will be taken into account.
5. In the SKU and Barcode fields, enter the appropriate product identifiers.
6. Quantity - Enter the quantity you have available from this product. To use this option you need to have the track inventory button turned on.
In the store this information will be displayed as follows:
If you choose not to show this information to customers you can turn off the option in the My Store section > Widgets > Products > Detail information for a product.
7. In the last field Weight it is necessary to fill in the weight to calculate the value of the shipment when sending. It refers to the basic unit of measure but may be different because of the product packaging or other things you add to the product when you send it to the customer. Therefore, include the weight of the package (carton, box, etc.), if any, so that the system can correctly calculate the amount that has to be paid.
In our case we put 1,100 kg, assuming that 0.100 g is the package. Thus, if a customer orders, for example, 6,450 kg, the final total weight will be 7,090 g, because of this additional 0.100 g, which are added to each kilogram.
XML Import - products with units of measure
If you are using XML import, you already have several new mapping fields added to the import task, in which you can enter the corresponding values to apply - Minimum Order amount, Product Unit measurement, Product Unit measurement step value, and Product Unit measurement visualization. Thus, all values in the new fields will be able to be imported and updated via the XML import application.
Sync via API
In the CloudCart documentation, there are references to units of measurement (UNITS). You can see more information in Product Resource. Several values have been added to attributes. The main value that needs to be changed is unit_short_name, in which we add the short name of the unit itself (in our case kg). When updating or adding a product, this short name must be provided in order to be able to specify the basic unit of measurement of the product concerned.
All other values are Read-only.
Edit product quantity in order
You can edit the quantity of products ordered on already placed orders and in decimal numbers, not as before only integers.
To edit a quantity, select the relevant order and click Edit.
If a customer has ordered 6.45 g of potatoes, but the weight is 0.050 g more when weighing, you can change the value of the quantity, so the system will recalculate the final price and subtract the ordered quantity from the total product quantity so as not to have any discrepancies subsequently.
This is all you need to know about the Units app to make the right settings according to your online store and the products you sell.